|Manufacturer:||BSD High Power Rocketry|
BSD Horizon (4") with 38mm motor mount. I flew this rocket stock for my Level 1, and I later modified it to use dual deployment for my Level 2.
BSD Rocketry Horizon (4" diameter) with 38mm motor mount and G-10 fins
Stock build for Level 1:
The Horizon is a great kit! I built it according to the very thorough instructions with a couple of exceptions:
Modifications for dual deployment and Level 2:
I knew I wanted to eventually configure the Horizon for dual deployment. To do this, I chose the LOC 4" avionics bay with extended payload section. The LOC bay came with all the hardware needed to put the bay together. I assembled the avionics bay according to the instructions. However, I installed u-bolts on the end caps in place of the eyebolts. One leg of the u-bolt went into the center hole of the end cap, and I drilled another hole for the second leg. I could not find forged or welded eyebolts at my local hardware store, but they did carry u-bolts. I didn't want to suffer a recovery failure from an opened eyebolt!
I decided to go with the PerfectFlite MAWD for my altimeter since it was able to record flight data in addition to having dual pyro channels. I installed the MAWD mounting hardware on the plywood sled included with the LOC bay. I also mounted a 9V battery holder from Commonwealth Displays to the sled. I used an altimeter wiring kit from Dog House Rocketry which included quick disconnect wiring along with terminal blocks.
I drilled holes for the terminal block screws and a pass through hole for the terminal block wiring in the end caps for the avionics bay. I fastened the terminal blocks using the screws included in the wiring kit. I passed the terminal block wiring through the drilled holes and attached to the terminal blocks. I then sealed the holes with a dab of epoxy. I drilled a hole through the switch band for a keyswitch from Aerocon Systems. I soldered a wiring connector to the switch then installed it in the hole. I drilled 3 static ports in the switch band based on size information from the MAWD manual. Once everything was complete, I installed the altimeter and a battery. I connected christmas tree bulbs to the terminal blocks and powered up the altimeter. Once I verified continuity, I covered two of the holes and applied a vacuum to the third hole. As soon as I let go, I could see the apogee bulb light up followed by the main bulb a couple of seconds later. Success!
I attached the payload section to the avionics bay and drilled two 1/8" holes for the attachment points. I removed the payload section and enlarged the holes in the avionics bay to allow a t-nut to be mounted from the inside. I used a dab of epoxy to fasten the t-nuts to the avionics bay. Once the epoxy was dry, I re-attached the payload section and installed the 4-40 screws. Looking good!
Last up was the nose cone. I drilled a hole in the nose cone shoulder and dropped in a 1/4" nut. With some minor fiddling, I was able to get the nut threaded onto the end of an eyebolt inserted into the center hole of the nose cone. I dripped some epoxy into the hole to secure the nut from coming loose. Next, I placed the nose cone on top of the payload section and marked three equally spaced holes for 2-56 nylon shear pins. I drilled the first hole, inserted a shear pin, then repeated this sequence for the remaining two screws. I used a Sharpie to number the holes on both the nose cone shoulder and inside the payload section.
For the stock Horizon, I chose not to use the suggested paint scheme and included vinyl decals. Instead, I painted the booster Krylon Banner Red. The nose cone and payload section were painted Krylon Gloss White. I applied a Polish Eagle decal I found on the internet to the payload section. I used several coats of Krylon Clear to finish the rocket.
For the modified version, I painted the avionics switch band Krylon Gloss White. I painted the new payload section Krylon Banner Red to match the stock booster section. I then contacted Mark at Stickershock who put together a set of white vinyl flames for me. I applied the flames at the top of the payload section. Again, Krylon Clear was used as a top coat.
One word - awesome! I love the Horizon because it is a simple but very strong design. The rocket has survived a couple of goofs on my part with nothing more than some dirt and a couple of scratches. This was a perfect choice for my Level 1 and Level 2 certification flights! I hope to get many more flights out of my Horizon!