Manufacturer: Clone
Style: Futuristic/Exotic

Brief:
This is a scratchbuilt clone of the Estes Battlestar Galactica Colonial Viper kit, #1310.

Estes Battlestar Gallactica Colonial ViperEstes Battlestar Gallactica Colonial Viper

Estes Battlestar Gallactica Colonial Viper Parts were either ordered from Semroc or I had them in my parts supply. The instructions were the original Estes instructions downloaded from JimZ's site. The decals were copied from JimZ's site and printed on white waterslide decal paper using my inkjet printer.

Modifications:
The only modifications I made were as follows:

 

  • Traced the canopy onto a manila folder instead of a piece of paper. I was able to mold the canopy as indicated in the instructions but it came out much stronger.
  • Cut the nose cone that I ordered from Semroc at an angle and then drilled out the center using wood bit and my hand held drill.
  • Added a second launch lug to the finished product to give it a more symmetrical look. This was just a style change that I made based on personal preference.

Construction:
The parts list:

  • Balsa for fins (had on hand)
  • 1 Body Tube BT50 9.5" long (ordered from Semroc)
  • 3 Turbo Tube BT-52 3.938" long (ordered from Semroc)
  • 2 Launch Lugs (small) (had on hand)
  • 2 Launch Lugs (large) (had on hand)
  • 1 Dowel (had on hand)
  • 1 Engine Tube type BT-20J (had on hand)
  • 1 Engine Holder type EH-2 (had on hand)
  • 1 Strapdown Ring (had on hand)
  • 1 Split Centering Ring (had on hand)
  • 1 Card Stock Sheet (for two alignment guides and canopy) (used manila folder)
  • 1 Paper sheet (used for shock cord mount)
  • 1 Nose Cone BT-50 3.25" ellipse (ordered from Semroc)
  • 4 Lead Weights (ordered from Semroc)
  • 1 Shock Cord (had on hand)
  • 1 Parachute (had on hand)
  • 1 Tape Disks (had on hand)
  • 1 Decal Set (copied from JimZ's and printed on my inkjet printer using white waterslide decal paper).

Estes Battlestar Gallactica Colonial Viper

Finishing:
I primed, filled spirals, sanded, primed, painted the model gloss white and then applied the decals.

Flight and Recovery:
Recommended motors are B6-4 and C6-5. I used a C6-3s on my four flights and was pleased with the flights and recovery.

None of the flights so far have been arrow straight boosts. The rocket takes more of an arched flight. However it gets respectable height and doesn't arch over too much. I'm very pleased with it's performance.

I would suggest not flying this on a windy day since the numerous fin surfaces could easily cause it to arch over a good deal if it were to catch a gust of wind.

Summary:
I had a great time building this rocket and would recommend the build to anyone who is looking for a challenge beyond building from a kit.

Related Products

Comments:

avatar
Dale Marshall (March 7, 2012)

Gret-looking scratch build! I bought a kit from MoreRockets.com and had to add 2.5 pallets of clay noseweight to get mine to fly straight up.  I agree about not launching in the wind too... last time I did that mine flew straight and level about 100' off the launch pad!

comment Post a Comment