Contributed by Matthew Gillard
The Maxi Streak #1837 is a long time OOP rocket from Estes. Got the plans off JimZ's website. It is like an upscaled mosquito with swept back fins or a streak with rounded fins and upscaled. The instructions call for a 24mm motor mount, which I changed for an 18mm mount: a D or E motor would put this thing into space.
The mount was glued into the body tube, the instructions called for the end of the mount to extend beyond the end of the tube, I put it in flush to give the rocket a cleaner line.
The rocket was given several light coats of metallic red paint, after this dried one fin was masked off and given a few coats of gloss black paint, as was the nosecone.
I went with red paint, because the picture of the Maxi Streak on the Jimz site has the rocket in red. however, the instructions have the rocket being painted orange, which I read after i had painted mine - so that's another deviation from the original.
Initially I was not going to put a decal on the rocket, but after posting this build on TRF, Gordy from excelsiorrocketry said he had one and as i have been very happy with the quality of his decals in the past i bought one to finish the model properly. Gordy has since told me that he has sold a few more Maxi Streak decals to other poeple.
Flights were made with all three motors in the same day. Each flight was arrow straight, with a steady increase in altitude.
I got to drag race my Maxi Streak against another Maxi Streak at my club's monthly meeting on the 21st of March. I lost.
I went with about 4 foot of two-inch wide Mylar streamer.
Recovery is quite fast, but safe. Each flight had the streak land fairly near the pad and more importantly without damage.
Cons: Streamer recovery may result in some damage to the swept back fins, but none has been seen yet.
What You Can Do