|Main Nose Cone:||BNC-50Y|
|Motor Size:||18 millimeters|
|Recommended Motors:||A8-0/A5-4, A8-0/B6-6, A8-0/C6-7, B14-0/A5-4, B14-0/B6-6, B14-0/C6-7, B6-0/A5-4, B6-0/B6-6, B6-0/C6-7, C6-0/A5-4, C6-0/B6-6, C6-0/C6-7|
I've long admired the looks of the "Astron Avenger," (KA-38) a long out-of-production two-staged kit introduced by Estes in the late 60s. When the plans for the kit were posted on "JimZ's" wonderful site, I decided to have a go at re-creating it. I actually began this project in 1998! It languished, unfinished, until the summer of 2000, when I completed the arduous task of sanding, ...
The Avenger wasn't the first two-stager I'd ever built, (that would be the Beta,) but it was the first one I ever flew as a two-stager. When I got back into the hobby in 2001, I quickly realized that much of what I wanted to build from my 1977-80 heyday no longer existed. My solution to this was to buy an Estes Builders Special, only to find that it had become a corporate garbage can over ...
An article about using the Avenger to experment with a new way to ensure that the second stage of a rocket ignites before the first stage falls away.
The actual build is not described in much detail in this thread, but there are a number of excellent photographs of the rocket being painted and of the completed rocket.