Construction Rating: starstarstarstarstar_border
Flight Rating: starstarstarstarstar_border
Overall Rating: starstarstarstarstar_border
Published: 2010-08-01
Diameter: 1.64 inches
Length: 21.40 inches
Manufacturer: Estes
Skill Level: 1
Style: Scale

Brief:
I built this as part of the EMRR Challenge #7 as outlined I built this exactly as the instructions specify and then built a second with my own modifications. This rocket is a Semi-Scale version of the US Army Patriot Air Defense Missile. The rocket is designed to use an 18mm engine and 12" parachute recovery.


Construction:

  • 2 – BT-60 White Body Tube (6.625” Long)
  • 1 - Yellow Body Tube (3.25” Long)
  • 1 – Blue 18mm Engine Tube
  • 1 - Nose Cone (#72057)
  • 2 - Body Tube Couplers
  • 1 - Launch Lug – 2.375” Long
  • 1 - Std Engine Hook
  • 1 - Green Engine Block
  • 2 - Engine Centering Rings
  • Balsa Fins (3/32” Pre-cut Sheet)
  • 18” – 1/8” Shock Cord
  • 12” Plastic Parachute
  • Decal Sheet

I have to admit it has been a while since I built a rocket completely as the instructions specify. The construction was pretty basic and as usual the Estes instructions were very good. Nice pictures and clear explanations where necessary. This is a basic four-fin rocket with no real "Gotchas." I would recommend making a copy of pages 1 and 2 of the instructions prior to cutting out the tube marking guide. Once you do this you lose some of page 2 which could be helpful for any re-builds.

Finishing:
In this case I didn’t finish these because I ran out of time to get my review complete, so I chose to fly this naked. I did apply a couple of coats of Emery’s Wood Putty thinned with water to the tube and fins. I sanded these smooth. My plan is to paint both as the instructions outline – I will add some pictures of the painted versions to the flight log pictures.

Construction Rating: 4 out of 5

Flight:
I flew this rocket on three different engines: A8-3, B6-4 and C6-5. As I predicted, the A8-3 was scary. The rocket only flew about 100 feet, but the parachute did deploy and the rocket was recovered without damage. The B6-4 and C6-5 were much better flights. There was very little wind and on the C6-5 this rocket flies high – AWESOME!!!

Recovery:
On all three flights the recovery was prefect, as I mentioned above the A8-3 is a little weak and the parachute barely had time to open. On the C6-5, even with the 12" parachute, the rocket took about 60+ second to land.

Flight Rating: 4 out of 5

Summary:
Great Flights + Great Recovery = Great Rocket

Overall Rating: 4 out of 5

Flights

Comments:

avatar
B.S. (July 10, 2010)
I had two of these kits and unfortunately lost both. I don't remember how I lost the first one but the second went up on a C and drifted into trees... This was my fault though. However, the kit is nice and flies great! The only thing I don't like is that the kit's body tube came in two sections joined by a coupler. This didn't pose a problem for recovery though. I flew it on a D21 from AeroTech and it was gone. I lost sight of it but recovered in one piece. It was maybe 1/2 a mile away from the pad.

comment Post a Comment