Note: For more EZI pictures, visit John's site.
The Loc/Precision EZI-65 kit is the rocket which is supposed to get me my Tripoli level 2 certification. This is a high-performance rocket which is reasonably stable and should give outstanding flights on I and J motors. (Of course, as is typical for me, I've done things backwards and have already built several larger rockets.)
The rec.models.rockets community seemed to favor the Loc/Precision EZI-65 as the ideal level 1 certification rocket. However, I'd already purchased the I-ROC and since it has a 38mm motor mount, it seemed more appropriate for level 1 (H and I motors). The EZI-65 flies on I and J motors (it has a 54mm motor mount), which is just up into the level 2 range.
The color scheme Loc/Precision chose is hideous, so I decided to go wild on this rocket and do it as modern art. I also had just found a new kind of Krylon paint: Brass metallic, which I wanted to try. If it isn't obvious, imagine an abstract painting (such as a Mondrian, a Dutch geometric painter) with the fins and nose as the picture frame. (OK, so it is a bit of a stretch.)
I shredded the original rocket attempting my level 2 certification, but a
rebirth was completed as a
OnlineHow-To Classroom forum series, which has also been turned into
a Tech. Series article so I have removed the detailed
information from this page. Join us and build a super-strong rocket and
certify in style with advanced high-power construction techniques and recovery
On the left is the original EZI-65, built as per the kit instructions. On
the right is the "level 2" version: fiberglassed, with
dual-deployment and a better copy of a Mondrian painting.
The EZI-65 launches, apparently perfectly, sporting wild modern art colors.
Not much was recovered. A shred doesn't leave much.
On its maiden flight, the EZI-65 shredded spectacularly. It appeared to
disintegrate about 100 feet off the ground. We never figured out why it
shredded--perhaps a fin came off. The tail of the rocket was never recovered,
although we did find the undamaged nose later.
The rebuilt EZI (now the EZI-130) flew for the first time at ROC-stock in
Lucerne Valley, CA on November 15th. The spectacular flight on a J800 will not
be the last!
|Now you see it...||Now you don't.|
The flight was dramatic, with a total altitude of 6322 feet (as measured by the Missile Works RRC2). The parachute never fully came out of the payload section (as you can see in the picture below), but the strong construction of the rocket saved it as it came down, braked by the three sections of its dual deployment. Next flight will be with a smaller parachute which will fit more easily into the payload section. Too bad there's not enough room for a piston.
The instructions for this kit were standard Loc/Precision: just enough
information on the back of the kit card.
The color scheme they chose is hideous, so I decided to go wild on this rocket and do it as modern art as you can see. The Krylon Brass metallic paint is pretty neat, but requires ultra careful preparation as it shows defects even more than white. Also, my paint job came out much flatter looking (even with a Crystal Clear coat) than the cap on the can.
The EZI-65 kit isn't really strong enough for level-2 motors if built stock. See my Rocketry Online Tech. Series article for a detailed description of building it for level-2 certification.