The Super Eagle Kit is designed to take the higher impulse 18mm D size motors by Aerotech.
This is the second Quest Quick Kit I have built. From the first one I know that the motor mount construction is a bit flimsy. The only thing that is preventing the motor from shooting up inside the rocket is two plastic tabs. My concern is what will happen when those tabs melt down via the ejection charges of the motors used? If that happens, nothing will prevent the motor from launching, leaving the rocket behind. Due to this concern, I decided to beef up the motor mount.
The supplies needed for my modification:
The motor mount is mounted inside the two plastic halves of the rocket. In order for the centering rings to fit, the plastic tabs used to support the motor tube have to be removed. I did this with a sharp hobby knife. I noticed that the 18mm tube was too wide for the centering rings to fit over them, so I replaced the Quest motor tube with an Estes tube (which the rings were designed for anyway). I glued the thrust ring into the forward end of the motor tube. After checking the alignment, I glued the centering rings to both ends of the motor tube, giving enough space between the rings to clear the plastic centering rings on the fin can halfs. (See photo).
The fin can was then finished using plastic cement according to the instructions. Since paper centering rings are now used, the plastic motor retainer can not be used. Any motor used in this rocket will have to be friction fitted into the motor tube.
The Super Eagle comes with three lengths of red tubing, one shorter than the other two. The majority of plastic parts in this kit are red. These parts include the fin can halves, four fins, nosecone, two tube couplers, shock cord anchor, and the black support ring and motor retainer. Also included is a blue 18mm motor tube, Kevlar ® and elastic cords, two 14" parachutes with pre-cut shroud lines and tape disks.
The rest of the rocket assembly was straight forward. The fit of the plastic tube counplers in the body tube is a bit loose, so alignment is an issue when gluing the tubes together. Also, care has to be taken to make sure the launch lug tabs are lined up with each other. The nose cone section also had a loose fit, but a couple wraps of masking tape fixed this.
The rocket does not require painting, and the decals were easy to apply.
Construction Rating: 4 out of 5
March 1st, while helping out with the Team America Rocketry Challenge, I got the opportunity to try out my Super Eagle. I loaded the model with a Quest C6-3 and Estes wadding, packed both chutes, and placed the rocket onto the launch pad. The flight with the C6-3 was wobbly. It went about 200-300 ft, and both chutes deployed. The rocket was recovered without any damage. I thought about trying the rocket with a D13 on or D24, but I decided against it due to the small field size we were using. The D motor flight will take place at the April CMASS launch.
Flight Rating: 3 out of 5
I believe my two improvements to the kit: upgrading the motor mount and tying the payload section to the booster is a good idea. The rocket is underpowered with the C6 motor, and leaving the two sections seperated is an invitation for loosing something. If I build another Super Eagle, I would probabily opt for a 24mm or a 29mm motor mount. With some reinforcements to the fins, I can see this rocket flying great with an G40-10W.
Overall Rating: 3 out of 5