The Estes Gemini DC features twin 'chute deployment from the rear of two attached side pods. Though much maligned, it's a very cool kit
My kit came with an extra engine clip as well as the usual Estes components.
The instructions were easy to follow. The balsa fin tabs swelled up when glue was applied making it a bit of a struggle to slot them in the main tube. I made more of a glue mess than I would have liked. Also, I veered off path a bit. Instead of gluing the side pods on and then painting, I painted the components first up to the finish coat then I glued them on the main tube. I used a slow cure epoxy to fillet the lug and the fins. Masking off the body made for some neat pro-quality fillets.
The nose cones needed a fair bit of dressing down. Tqp coats of sanding sealer went on the fins and I used two or three coats of sandable primer on top of that and over the body parts. On top of that, I sprayed four coats of Testors medium blue, sanding with 600 between the first two, I used 0000 steel wool after the 3rd coat. The decals are stickers which went on easy enough. After the decals went on I sprayed two coats of clear gloss lacquer. It has a stunning finish, I'm very pleased.
It made its maiden voyage today on a B6-2 motor. She flew straight and was still in a vertical position when the engine popped the 'chutes. That's right, both parachutes came out with no issues and the rocket landed about 100 feet from the launch pad. It was very exciting to see it all work.
After purchasing this kit, I started reading the reviews. Since the 'chute deployment or, lack thereof, seems Ito be the issue, I focused on 'chute protection. I wrapped the center section of the motor mount with some fireproofing before gluing it in. Also, I added additional wadding fore and aft in the side pods vent tube and, once the 'chutes were in, more wadding over the tube ends covering the 'chutes. I even stuffed wadding in the gap between the main tube and the motor mount where it exits out the back. Adding a dusting of talcum powder to the 'chutes surfaces seems to help unfurl them quickly.
The twin 'chutes worked perfectly and the rocket came down nose first. No damage to rocket whatsoever. Next launch will be with a C6-5.
Dual rear deployment parachute. The construction is good, because it has TTW fins, which means it is stronger than the other ones, also you don't have to worry about the fin alignment because the slot has done that for you. You just need to make sure that air can flow freely to the 2 parachute pods otherwise this rocket will lawn dart!!! You can always forget about the parachute pod and ...
Brief: The Estes Gemini DC is dual parachute, lawn dart ready single stage rocket with two side pods housing the chutes. It uses a 1/8 inch launch lug and has a single 18mm motor mount. The Gemini DC has four swept back balsa fins. Construction: The components used in this rocket are top quality. The parts list is: 1 BT-50 main body tube, slotted with vent holes 1 ...
I had often looked at this kit and wondered how those twin parachutes would work. I found out one day when a friend launched his and had only one chute deployed. The recovery was a little hard on the rocket and broke one of the pods off the side of the rocket. Reading the other reviews, I have learned that this is the rule and not the exception for this rocket. I determined that my rocket would ...