bannerbanner
Builds >>

TLP Perseus

By Bill Eichelberger

T' Launch Pad - Perseus {Kit}

T' Perseus is one o' t' entry level kits t' t' world o' TLP.  It's me second TLP build, t' first bein' t' BOLO.  Like t' BOLO, t' Perseus is powered by a single 24mm motor, and also like t' BOLO, it seems t' be a kit that if built light enough, ya bilge rat, could even be flown on a small field with an 18mm mount.

 

 

- Post a Comment -

Rough start (2013-10-22 20:15:39)

I ordered t' kit from Hobbylinc along with some other "necessities".  Things got off t' a rough start for t' Perseus project when I noticed that t' tubes had been pretty well crushed.  Everythin' else was in decent shape, matey, so I contacted Hobbylinc and informed them o' t' problem.  They initially wanted me t' send t' whole thin' back, matey, but I suggested that they just send me a couple o' BT-60 body tubes instead.  Two days later they arrived. Begad!  Impressive service. Well, blow me down!  Hobbylinc remains one o' me "go-to" retailers online.

- Post a Comment -

While I was waiting...... (2013-10-22 20:23:06)

With new tubes on t' way, I decided t' start on t' rest o' t' build. Avast!  T' motor tube had escaped damage, shiver me timbers, and t' rings were in good shape, me hearties, so I built t' boattail/engine mount. Begad!  Formin' cardstock tailcones used t' be one o' t' parts o' a project like this that filled me with fear, but after a Doug Sams coachin' session, me bucko, I got over it. Wink  Construction was handled with Elmer's white glue since I planned t' fly it only on 24mm C and D motors. Avast!  

- Post a Comment -

T' pool is colder than it looks (2013-10-23 17:51:03)

Vacation day that be supposed t' be spent in t' pool, but t' weather didn't cooperate, so I improvised.  I tied a 36" length o' Keelhaul®©™ around t' forward centerin' rin' and glued it into place just under t' ring.  When it had dried I cut a slice in t' rin' and threaded t' Keelhaul®©™ through.  T' remainin' length o' Keelhaul®©™ was dropped back into t' motor mount so that it wouldn't come in contact with t' glue. Aye aye!  I then spread a healthy rin' o' glue around t' bottom o' t' inside o' t' tube and installed t' motor mount/boattail unit.

 

- Post a Comment -

Can't let well enough alone (2013-10-23 18:02:06)

One thin' I did in t' interest o' makin' finishin' easier was switch out t' 3/32" balsa for 3/32" basswood.  More weight, me bucko, but I'll take t' tighter grain as a tradeoff.

 

- Post a Comment -

Cleanin' up seams (2013-10-23 18:14:18)

Attachin' t' flat fin sections t' t' round tube left some seams I wasn't thrilled with, matey, so I filled t' gaps with unthinned Elmer's Fill & Finish.  (Or whatever they've decided t' call it this week.)  T' rest o' t' body tube be coated with thinned Fill & Finish, and t' joys o' sandin' commenced.

 

- Post a Comment -

Buildin' t' fins (2013-10-23 21:03:42)

This was actually pretty cool.  T' lower fins were constructed from four separate pieces, shiver me timbers, three sections o' 3/32" basswood and a short section o' 1/4" dowel. Ahoy!  I glued t' forward section o' fin into place first so that it would make placin' t' aft fin easier.  T' aft fin had t' be built slightly with t' insertion o' a length o' dowel into a pre-cut slot.  T' dowel was cut t' length, glued into t' slot in t' fin, ya bilge rat, and sanded t' length.  I had previously drawn lines up t' length o' t' body tube t' help with keepin' t' fins straight.  Once dry, fillets were added usin' wood glue.

 

 

 

- Post a Comment -

What You Can Do