Diameter: 1.64 inches
Length: 14.13 inches
Manufacturer: Aerospace Specialty Products
Skill Level: 2
Style: Scale

Brief:

Aerospace Speciality Products (ASP) makes a couple of different V2 Kits. This is the 1/40th scale kit, with the 24mm motor mount. The kit builds into a rocket that is 359mm long and 42mmm in diameter. Recommended engines include D12-5, E15-7 & E30-7, though the documentation states that it can be flown on B & C motors with a suitable adapter.

The kit contains the following parts:

  • Engine Tube
  • Engine block
  • Centering ring
  • Body tube
  • 1/8" Basswood fin stock
  • 1/8" Basswood strip
  • 3/32" Basswood strip
  • Balsa nose cone
  • Balsa boattail
  • 1/4" Elastic shock cord
  • Launch lug
  • 15" mylar parachute
  • Adhesive mylar tape
  • Shroud lines
  • Snap swivel

Construction/Finishing Techiniques:
The engine and body tubes are good quality cardboard with a glassine finish. The body tube has very little trace of a spiral. The basswood stock is of good quality, but is not pre-marked, a template being provided for cutting out the fins and servo pods. The nose cone has a prefitted eye hook, is pre-weighted, and is pretty heavy! The nose cone and boattail are well shaped and O.D. is slightly oversized compared to the body tube, which is good, because they need sealing and sanding if a good finish is required. The shock cord doesn't seem long enough, given the weight of the nose cone. Enough shroud line is provided to run all the way to the center of the 'chute, the mylar tape being provided to fix them in place. The snap swivel looks a little light, with the 'snap' itself being a little flimsy, compared to the weight of the nose cone.

The instructions are good, with very clear descriptions of each step, listing the parts and tools required and the operation to be performed. Diagrams are provided where required. They are particularly good when describing the steps needed to produce a good finish. Tricky details such as the servo pods and the turbine exhausts are also well described. Two different paint schemes are included in the instructions. No decals are supplied. References are given for further research.

This isn't a beginners kit. The fins and servo pods are not simple shapes to cut out from balsa, and the slots in the fins to mount the servo pods, trickier still. You are expected to shape the turbine exhausts from the basswood stock, although this is a detail that could be omitted if necessary.

Flights

Comments:

avatar
D.J.M. (December 26, 2003)
Fins now come laser cut. Nice improvement. Shaping still difficult, but everything is nicely precut. Great kit.
avatar
B.B. (September 4, 2004)
This model is very close to identical to the Centuri SuperScale V2, with the exception of the 24mm engine mount. The original flew with 18mm engines. The Centuri kit also had a pre-drilled nose cone with lead weights - but you had to glue them in yourself! The original was also rather heavy as most accurate V2 models tend to be, since they require a far-forward CG with accurately-sized fins. Worse still with enough nose weight to handle 24mm motors, and basswod fins. But of course the weight is highly dependent on the density for balsa used for the nose and tail cone. I did not find this kit hard to build at all. There's a good bit of woodwork, but it's fairly easy. Besides, a little planing, carving, and sanding is good for the soul. I built mine with kit parts, but if I do it again I will for sure replace the fins with balsa. Bass is just not necessary, and it's very heavy for it's strength. If you want it to be super-durable, make the fins out of 10-12 lb. balsa, form to shape, and cover them with GM silkspan and dope. Stronger and lighter than bass. The only difficult part is the fillet area. This is not at all a function of the kit, but of the prototype. To get the radius to look right and symmetrical on all 8 fillets takes a sculptor's touch. I used Aeropoxy Light filleting material and a lot of patience. The material was fine, but the results were strictly a function of eyeballing the right shape. It was just OK, not great, even using templates to cut masks for the edges and only making the two adjacent fillets at a time. There's gotta be another way!

comment Post a Comment