This is a kit conversion from an Estes Screamin' Mimi to an Estes Der Big Red Max based on Der Big Red Max instructions provided by JimZ #1977.
The only change I made to the JimZ plan was to use the 24mm mount setup that came with the Screamin' Mimi kit rather than the suggested 18mm mount described in the Der Big Red Max instructions found on the JimZ site.
Screamin' Mimi components used:
The construction was very straightforward and in fact far easier than constructing a Screamin' Mimi due to the fact that the additional fin pods and whistles don't need to be added to the rocket.
I used Gloss Black on the nose cone and Gloss Red on the body.
The decals provided by Excelsior Rocketry were excellent and went on like a dream.
I wish I had spent a bit more time filling the wood grain on the fins, but other than the fact that you can see a bit of wood grain, everything came out as expected.
This rocket really gets up there on a D engine. I used a D12-5 for all four flights. Drift is an issue with this rocket as it is fairly lightweight so flying on a calm day is preferable.
As with any small powerful rocket, this requires a long walk for recovery. It's gone past the edge of the flying field on three of the four flights so far.
I may experiment with a smaller chute or spill hole to try and keep this rocket from drifting as far as it does.
This was a fun project and I am very pleased with the final results. The decals provided by Excelsior Rocketry really make this rocket look great.
This is my twin-engine modification of Estes' Der Red Max kit for the EMRR "Twice the Thrust" Challenge Modifications: Construction started with the two motor tubes. I cut a slit 1/4" from one end of the tubes for the hook, held it in place with masking tape and glued the engine block in place ...
Stage bash of two Estes kits, Der Red Max (0651) and U.S. Army Patriot (2056). A two stage rocket is produced with gap staging, allowing both booster and sustainer to have engine hooks. The upper stage looks enough like the standard Patriot to be mistaken for a stock model, enough to use the ...
This rocket is part of my entry in the Family Photo contest. My “family” is homages to the venerable Der Red Max. This variant is an unholy combination of the Der Red Max and the LOC/Precision Viper III. My primary components were: BT-60 about 16" – This is from ...