This rocket is part of my entry in the Family Photo contest. My “family” is homages to the venerable Der Red Max. This variant is an unholy combination of the Der Red Max and the LOC/Precision Viper III.
My primary components were:
This was a relatively simple and straightforward build. All of the construction was done with Elmer’s wood glue.
The main BT was already painted with a very simple camoflauge scheme. The fin unit was primed with gray Wal-Mart primer and then painted with Wal-Mart gloss black.
I decided to do something unique with the decals. I did some computer editing to place the skull and cross on a field of camo. They were printed on Avery label paper and sealed with Wal-Mart clear coat. I was happy with how they turned out.
This rocket has flown just once so far on a 3xC6-5 combo. The flight was great – high and straight with the noise and smoke that make a cluster so entertaining.
I really enjoyed this build. It added a new dimension to the erstwhile Der Red Max. And while not overly challenging, there is enough in the build and the clustered flight to keep any rocketeer interested.
This is my twin-engine modification of Estes' Der Red Max kit for the EMRR "Twice the Thrust" Challenge Modifications: Construction started with the two motor tubes. I cut a slit 1/4" from one end of the tubes for the hook, held it in place with masking tape and glued the engine block in place ...
This is a kit conversion from an Estes Screamin' Mimi to an Estes Der Big Red Max based on Der Big Red Max instructions provided by JimZ #1977. The only change I made to the JimZ plan was to use the 24mm mount setup that came with the Screamin' Mimi kit rather than the suggested 18mm ...
Stage bash of two Estes kits, Der Red Max (0651) and U.S. Army Patriot (2056). A two stage rocket is produced with gap staging, allowing both booster and sustainer to have engine hooks. The upper stage looks enough like the standard Patriot to be mistaken for a stock model, enough to use the ...