Note: This is a slightly shortened, edited version of John's review and fewer pictures. Visit John's site for the full review or enjoy the bulk of it here.
The Loc/Precision Stovi kit was the fourth rocket I built and certainly the most substantial. The kit goes together completely with epoxy and has plywood fins and a complex tail end with six "auxiliary tanks" surrounding the actual motor tube.
This is the Loc/Precision Stovi. Kit information and a full-size picture of the front of the package is here. This kit went together nicely. The directions, although short were fine and the kit was well designed and the parts well made. The only annoying thing about this kit is that it has a 24mm motor mount and expects to fly on F and G motors. It would be more appropriate for this rocket to have a 29mm motor mount. (No single-use 24mm are currently available for it.)
The Stovi looked somehow Russian to me (complex and slightly inexplicable) so I decided to paint it fancifully as a Russian missile. No decals came with the kit so I painted it in three colors (red, yellow and black) and applied some Russian aircraft star decals to complete the effect. I like the way it looks, but I hope I can see it when it lands!
There goes the Stovi on its maiden and final flight:
A nice flight too, angled slightly into the wind and going up nice and smoothly. Everything went smoothly, including ejection but the parachute never totally unrolled from the shroud lines so the 1 1/2 pound rocket came down on a poor streamer.
The damage was repairable: two fins broken off and the body tube dented. However, I didn't try to salvage it since the Stovi fin attachment to between two small tubes make them hard to reattach (there's no surface to work with).
The only annoying thing about this kit is that it has a 24mm motor mount and expects to fly on F and G motors. It would be more appropriate for this rocket to have a 29mm motor mount. (No single-use 24mm are currently available for it.)
The kit comes with no decals or painting information since the Stovi isn't scale. The front of the instruction card has an interesting sponge texture which I liked (and will try some day), but looked hard to see on the ground. It looked Russian to me, so I painted it red, yellow and black with Russian aircraft stars on the side.
The kit came in a bag with a single instruction card (instructions on the back and this picture on the front):