This is a 2 stage rocket design of my own all made from 3” Blue tube. The First stage booster has two 29 mm engines and the 2nd stage has a 38mm engine. It’s duel deployment running a Raven 3 with a RockeTiltometer , all that in a 3” tube is a lot but can be done by using both sides of the sled. This is quite the most complex rocket by far I’ve built. I’m finding out that Rocksim is having a hard time with the booster. When unloading one engine it still shows me the results as if both were loaded and I can’t get a good feel for what loads would be safe if 1 didn’t light. I Finally decided that I’ll use 2 CTI G250 two grain VMAX motors in the booster and Aerotech H245 in the second stage. I’m going to fly it without the booster first with a I218R to make sure it flies straight and we’ll go from there. Pucker factor should be high!
This is my first flame job and I was very happy with it, not bad to be done with spray can paint! I think it will look really hot on the pad!
Weight Dry W/booster - 86 oz.
Weight Dry W/O booster - 72 oz.
More to come!
|Rocket Name:||222 (Scratch built 2 stage)|
|Flyer's Name:||Rodney Earp|
|Expected Altitude:||3,000.00 Feet|
|Wind Speed:||3.00 mph|
|Actual Altitude:||900.00 Feet|
On this fight the main motor failed to airstart for reasons unknown. But the 2 G250 got it up to a safe altitude to deploy the chute and land safe.
update: after looking at the the Rocketilomoter log the rocket did get to 20 deg tilt after launched and shut down firing the main. The system worked and the main was never lit.